The tree in front of my home is getting too tall. Can I “top” this tree?

No, “Topping” is an antiquated method of reducing the overall height of a tree through poor arboricultural practice. It is prohibited for use on City Trees. If you are thinking of “Topping” a tree within your property, please reconsider and use an accepted method of pruning. The best course of action begins with contacting a qualified professional.

If the tree is located on City Right of Way, please call The City’s Urban Forester at 801-629-8284. If the tree is located on your private property, you might begin with contacting a Certified Arborist. Find a list of qualified individuals and companies that do work throughout the state on the

Utah Community Forest Council website.

Show All Answers

1. Can I remove the park strip tree in front of my home?
2. Do I need permission to trim my tree?
3. The tree in front of my home is getting too tall. Can I “top” this tree?
4. How do I know if the tree is mine or if it is a city tree?
5. Do I have to have a tree in my parking strip?
6. What type of tree will live without water?
7. What can I plant in my parking strip?
8. My tree is looking unhealthy. What can I do?
9. Can I still plant a tree under overhead utility lines?
10. Will the City provide a tree for my parking strip?
11. Why do I need a permit to plant a tree in my park strip?