Why Do Women Stay in Abusive Relationships?
- Ambivalent About Life Changes
- Belief That Violence is Normal in a Relationship
- Believes Abuse is Her Fault
- Believes She Can Make Relationship Work
- Blames Alcohol or Some Other Problem for the Above
- Economic Dependence
- Emotional Dependence
- Fear of Involvement in Court Processes
- Fear of Losing Children
- Fear of Physical Danger
- Fear of Retaliation
- Hope That He Will Change
- Lack of Perceived Alternatives
- Religious or Cultural Beliefs
An Abusive Relationship Affects You!
Apart from physical danger, abuse can lead to such mental health problems as:
- Loss of Appetite
Frequent abuse can destroy self-esteem and can lead you to:
- Accept abuse as a normal aspect of a relationship.
- Believe that you are responsible for the abuse.