Ogden CARES Business Grants
Ogden City is pleased to launch the Ogden CARES Business Grant Program. This new program will provide grants to support businesses impacted by COVID-19 (coronavirus). The program is funded by the federal coronavirus relief fund, which was established by the CARES Act.
To qualify for Ogden CARES, businesses must be located within Ogden City (see map) and have a current Ogden City business license. The business must also demonstrate an unmet financial need due to COVID-19. Businesses having received other federal, state, and/or local COVID-19 assistance may apply for an Ogden CARES grant, provided they demonstrate the business still has an unmet financial need. Businesses located within Weber County, but outside Ogden City, should apply for the county’s grant program, Weber CARES.
Applicants for the Ogden CARES Business Grant Program can apply for two different programs, summarized below. Maximum grant amounts are based on both the program and business type. Please note, the Ogden CARES grant funding is ONLY available for expenses that are not covered by other funding sources, such as business revenue or other federal, state, and/or local financial assistance.
Program A: Grants are available to help businesses and non-profits with unmet financial needs due to the impacts of COVID-19. Grant funds will help to cover the shortfall between necessary business expenses and existing funding sources (e.g., business revenue, federal or state assistance). As an example, if a business incurred $40,000 in necessary business expenses from March through the application date and, if during this same period, earned only $12,000 in revenue and received $20,000 through COVID-19 financial assistance (such as the Paycheck Protection Program), the cash flow shortfall would be $8,000. The business would be eligible for a CARES grant to cover the $8,000 shortfall.
- Maximum Grant Amounts:
- Up to $200,000 for locally owned companies or companies with distinct profit-and-loss accountability at the local level.
- Up to $100,000 for any company, regardless of ownership, with employees located in Ogden. Companies do not have localized profit-and-loss accountability and accounting rolls up to a parent corporation.
- Up to $50,000 for sole proprietorships located in Ogden with no employees other than the owner(s).
Program B: Grants are available to help retail, accommodation, and food services businesses located in Ogden’s Central Business District to make physical modifications that are necessary to accommodate physical distancing requirements. Please see map to determine if your business is in the Central Business District.
- Maximum Grant Amounts:
- Up to $50,000 for retail (NAICS 44-45) and accommodation and food services (NAICS 72) businesses located in Ogden’s Central Business District, including sole proprietorships with no employees other than the owner(s).
Grant applications will be evaluated on several criteria, focused on the business’ economic impact in Ogden, need for financial assistance, and long-term viability. Evaluation criteria may include:
- Is the business in a key industry? Key industries include advanced materials & manufacturing, aerospace & defense, IT/software, life sciences, and outdoor products.
- What is the business’ number of employees, annual payroll, and/or average wages?
- Has the business experienced closure or made a modification(s) required due to COVID-19?
- Does the business have access to other federal, state and/or local COVID-19 financial assistance?
- What was COVID-19’s impact on the business’ revenue and number of employees?
- How much equity, liquidity, profitability, and/or debt does the business have?
- Has the business reopened, or does it have a plan to reopen?
Ogden City is now accepting applications. Grant applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until funds are exhausted. Applications will be reviewed in batches based on the submission date. The first batch for review will include all complete applications submitted by July 10, 2020. Following the first review period, review batches will include complete applications submitted by each Friday, while funds remain available. We anticipate a high volume of applications and encourage businesses to apply as soon as possible for the best chance to receive funding.
Download the application material for Ogden CARES Program A and/or B below.
- Grant Application Instructions for Programs A and B (PDF)
- Grant Application Form for Program A: Unmet Financial Need (Fillable PDF)
- Grant Application Form for Program B: Modifications for Physical Distancing (Fillable PDF)
Complete application forms and supporting documentation should be submitted to Ogden City electronically or in hard copy.
- Electronic: Send electronic versions of the application and supporting documentation by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you prefer to send the electronic files through a file share service (e.g., Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), include a link to the file share site in your e-mail.
- Hard copy: Mail one hard copy of the application and supporting documentation to Ogden City Community & Economic Development, 2549 Washington Blvd., Suite 420, Ogden, UT 84401.
Please contact us with any questions by e-mail (email@example.com).