Museum Covid-19 Updates
May 29, 2020
Museums at Union Station announced a re-opening of three of its four museums (Utah State Railroad Museums, John M. Browning Firearms Museum, Cowboy and Western Heritage) beginning Wednesday, June 17, 2020. Its two indoor art galleries, Myra Powell, Gallery at the Station and the Browning-Kimball Classic Car Museum remain closed at this time.
“The safety of our guests and team members is our first priority,” stated Damen Burnham, Division Manager of Ogden City’s Union Station. “Our state’s “Utah Leads Together” plan provides guidelines to safely enter a moderate risk phase and allow socially-distanced limited admissions to our museums. We aim to carefully provide a place to visit and recharge.”
The following guidelines are in place for those planning a visit to Museums at Union Station June 17th:
- To allow for proper social distancing, we will be operating at 25% capacity or less, and staff will be monitoring the number of visitors in and out of our smaller galleries and other public spaces.
- Dedicated, separate entrances and exits will be clearly marked for each purpose and staff will be on hand to facilitate and monitor the process.
- We will adjust the flow of visitors through tickets, entry and exit times.
- We will supply face masks and gloves for all staff who engage with the public; spacing workstations to allow for social distancing and allowing support staff to continue work from home.
- Face masks will not be required for patrons while they visit, but strongly encouraged.
- We have installed plexi-glass screens at admission office to serve as an additional barrier between employees and visitors. Floor decals will indicate 6-foot spacing at the admission office and museum store checkout.
- We will monitor all public spaces to facilitate social distancing; and have installed signage throughout the facility to encourage and remind visitors to practice social distancing.
- We are installing more hand sanitizing stations and instituting heightened cleaning protocols, including frequent environmental cleaning and disinfection of “high-touch” door handles, elevators, and restrooms.
- We are implementing cleanliness “patrols” in all exhibition galleries and other public areas.
- Hands-on exhibition components and other “high touch” experiences will remain closed, including theater and play experiences in the Utah State Railroad Museum and John M. Browning Firearms Museum, docent touch carts and more.
- The temperature of all employees will be measured before entering the museum; any employees exhibiting a temperature over 100 will be sent home. Upon entering the building, employees must wash or sanitize their hands.
- The Eccles Rail center, which is apart of the Utah State Railroad Museum will be open at this time.
- We are canceling lectures and all other public programs through at least August 21.
MARCH 12, 2020
In accordance with updated guidance from authorities, Museum announced effective 9 am Mountain time March 12, 2020 its four museums and two art galleries (Utah State Railroad Museums, John M. Browning Firearms Museum, Browning-Kimball Classic Car Museums, Cowboy and Western Heritage, Myra Powell Art Gallery and Gallery at the Union Station) will close to encourage social distancing preventative measures for COVID-19 .
Union Station cares deeply about the health, safety, and ongoing well-being of guests, employees, vendors, and other personnel who visit each day.
“We join with the rest of the country in taking care of each other and ourselves,” stated Damen Burnham, Division Manager of Ogden City’s Union Station. “We strive to be a safe haven from the storms of life and a fun place for families. We are committed to keeping our property safe for everyone. During this time, we encourage our employees and guests to care for one another and be patient as we work through these issues.”
For the past 42 years Museums at Union Station has been a beacon of education, entertainment, and fun in the community. This short hiatus will not stop that mission from continuing. Please visit for details about upcoming events, classes, and venues.
Additional resources are available at these links: