Ogden Utah - all within reach
Welcome to Ogden! Sign in

How Do I

Ogden City  >  Community  >  Public Services  >  Street Maintenance

Street & Sidewalk Maintenance

Street & Sidewalk Maintenance

Print This PageEmail a Friend
Street Maintenance
Street Maintenance

Ogden City uses both city crew and contractors to maintain the 300 miles of streets within the city limits. This work includes,

  • Street construction and reconstruction
  • Overlays with surfaces being milled down first
  • Overlays without milling
  • Chip-seal coatings
  • Pot-hole repairs
  • Shoulder repairs
  • Street striping
  • Curb and gutter repairs
  • Bridge repairs
  • Guard-rail repairs
  • Traffic control
  • Street sign installation and replacement
  • Snow and ice control work

City Roads & State Roads

There are actually three categories of roads within Ogden: private roads, city roads, and state routes. Ogden City is responsible for city roads; and in fact, for liability, safety, and privacy concerns, Ogden City is not allowed to plow, construct, or perform maintenance on any streets other than designated City owned streets. To learn more click here.

Street Chip Sealing and Overlays

Each summer, city crews chip-seal and overlay streets from mid-June through November, when asphalt concrete batch plants close. Each year, 230-270 blocks of streets are chip-sealed and 30-50 blocks are overlaid. Each winter, streets are surveyed to determine relative severity of pavement condition. From this survey, plans are developed indicating which streets need maintenance, and what type of appropriate maintenance will be done. Asphalt overlay gets rid of the unsightly cracks, patches, and potholes on your street. It also provides a smoother ride, and lengthens the life of the street. Chip sealing increases pavement life and provides better traction.

If your street needs repair, you can always notify the city by filling out the form below. City crews will deliver notices to affected residents the week before, and place barricades on the street the day before the work is to be done. If the repair is an overlay, the street is usually closed for no more than 8 hours; if the treatment is a chip seal, the street is closed 2 hours. We ask you to please not park on your street the day it is to be repaired. Please drive cautiously, and be patient when you see the street crew working in your area. Please obey any flagmen and construction signs.

Street Sweeping

Ogden City has three street sweepers. Street sweepers start at the north end of the city each spring. Our goal is to sweep all streets, three times a year. However, several projects take priority over normal sweeper work,

  • After the snow melts, streets that received a chip seal the prior summer are swept first
  • Streets where salt and sand accumulated at the bottom of hills; i.e. above Weber State University, Bona Villa, Shadow Valley (bench areas) also receive priority
  • After the spring chip seal operation, sweepers sweep up chips for the next 2-3 months

After these priorities, sweepers resume the normal north-to-south street sweeping. You can do your part to help keep your neighborhood clean by picking up litter and sweeping up material from the gutter in front of your house. Remember, never sweep grass clippings or debris into the gutter or storm drain.

Sidewalk Damage

Street & Sidewalk Damage

Ogden City continually endeavors to identify and repair damaged sidewalks and streets. If you are aware of street damage (pothole, etc.) or sidewalk damage (lifted panels, breakage, holes, etc.) please alert our Engineering Division by filling out the form below or by calling our Engineering Information Hotline at (801) 629-8990.

Sidewalk Damage Form Email
Street Damage Form Email

Once we have been notified of the damage, our traffic engineer will make a field inspection of the site. Damaged streets and sidewalks are repaired throughout the city according to the severity of the damage and budgetary allowances.

Is your sidewalk in need of repair?

Ogden City is offering the 50/50 Concrete Replacement Program which offers residents an immediate and economical way to repair or replace broken sidewalks and/or curb and gutter on their property.

Eligibility – Standard City sidewalks and standard curb & gutter located within the city right-of-way, and the concrete must show any of these types of deterioration (see example).

1. Sidewalk break down:

  • 3 or more cracks per slab
  • 25% spalling or breaking into chips
  • Vertical or horizontal displacement of ½ inch or more
  •  Holes that have become a safety hazard 

2. Curb and gutter failure:

  • Heaves
  • Displacement
  • Spalls or depressions which cause water to pond and in winter forms ice pockets.

Not Eligible (50/50 Program Instructions) – Driveways, driveway aprons and house walks (concrete walkways between the home and the street) – these are the homeowner’s responsibility. Commercial properties are also not eligible to participate in the 50/50 Program (unless they are located within a Residential zone).

How Do I Participate in the 50/50 Concrete Repair Program?

  •  Homeowner is encouraged to contact Ogden City Engineering by email at  50-50@ogdencity.com or by phone at 801-629-8919 or 801-629-8986.
  • An Ogden City representative will visit the site to determine if it is eligible for participation in the 50/50 Program.
  • Once the site has been determined “eligible”, the homeowner is given an application form for the program. The homeowner then hires a contractor to perform the work.
  • Your contractor shall obtain an Ogden City permit.  If a permit is not obtained prior to completing the work, the reimbursement will be forfeited.
  • Once the work is complete, Contact Ogden City Engineering (801) 629-8919 for a final inspection.
  • Home owner will pay the contractor in full. Once the contractor has been paid, bring the application, work invoice, permit, and proof of payment (copy of the check is best both front and back) to Ogden City Engineering, located at 2549 Washington Boulevard. 
  • Once Payment is verified, a reimbursement check will be mailed to the applicant. The resident has 60 days to confirm participation by returning the signed contract and payment amounting to 50% of the contracted costs.

Reimbursement will occur on a first-come-first-served basis. Funding is available at this time, but once the funding is exhausted, the 50/50 Program will not be available until funding is secured in the future.